Thursday, April 30, 2009

Where Does the Time Go?


I'm not sure what has happened to all of my free time.  Each day starts and each day ends and in the middle I feel like I'm getting nothing accomplished.  My mornings start with getting Miss M ready for school then I try to hit the gym for an hour.  Lunchtime means getting Miss K ready for school then I have an hour or so while she's gone before I need to run to pick her up.  Once the kids are home... well, we all know what THAT is like.

It's really not a bad thing, I guess.  I'm not getting anything accomplished because I've changed my priorities a bit.  Miss K is constantly craving attention and asking for someone to play with while Miss M is at school.  For quite some time, I was spending so much time on my blogs that I didn't make time to play with her.  She's four and has plenty of toys that she can play independently with.  But she wasn't very happy every time I said "Maybe later" or "Not right now".  I could see her little heart break when her "Plitty Please" requests went unanswered. 

Lately, I've tried to be a better mom and dedicate more time to her each day.  Sometimes she'll help me with cleaning, but more often than not it's what she wants to do. It's either a game, coloring or something like Polly Pocket or Barbie... but we do it together and I try to make sure she knows that I'm not ignoring her.  Next year she'll be in Kindergarten all day and I'll have plenty of time on my hands.

Instead, for now, I'm ignoring my blogs a little.  I pop online and check my email several times a day and work on draft posts for my review blog.  But I'm actually behind on that also.  I enter a contest here or there (and actually won a big one that I can't discuss on this blog because I think it violates the BlogHerAd agreement).  I've worked hard to establish some great contacts for my review blog so I need to keep it up but family needs to come first.

I try to keep my blog positive and upbeat but I haven't been able to put it together.  There's so much I have running through my head that I want to talk about, but sitting at the computer for only a few minutes at a time just isn't enough to get the thoughts on virtual paper without sounding all muffled.  But honestly, muffled is how my thoughts feel these days.

So for now, I'll play with Miss K and blog when I can.  I just hope my friends will all still be here reading when I finally get my groove back.  Please bear with me while I find my footings... I'll post when I can and hopefully that will be a little more regularly one of these days. 

2 comments:

  • Drew

    Yes. Spend all the time you can with your kids while you still can. It makes all the difference in preventing them from becoming a
    drug addict.

  • Polka Dot Moon

    Hi Nicole,
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I also work from home and have a 2 1/2 year and an almost 5 year old. it seems I am constantly filled with guilt. guilt I have not worked enough, guilt I have not been with the kid enough, guilt I have not done ANYTHING enough. It is so hard to balance it all.

    My new goal is to just be in the moment. if it is work time I will try to focus without feeling guilty and then shut work off so I can give my kids real attention.

    I suppose we all need more time and we just do the best we can with what we have!

Google