Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day 1 of the 100 Day Challenge


Today is the first day of the 100 Day Challenge, part of "Live Healthy America." Although I go to the gym regularly, I'm seriously overweight so I felt compelled to sign up for the program. As part of a 5 person team, I'm hoping that I'll be motivated to attend more classes and develop a better fitness routine. I signed up for the gym's (free) wellness program and will begin that on Monday. Ultimately, I want to lose some weight. For the 100 day challenge, I think it's reasonable to drop about 15 pounds, but I'm certainly not going to put that on paper anywhere. Umm, anywhere else, I mean.

I have no self-control when it comes to sweets; I just love them. To further complicate matters, food is my outlet for when I'm bored, frustrated or whatever. That's one of the reasons I so adamantly attend classes at the Y… to compensate. Maybe this challenge and some supportive teammates (and one very supportive and loving DH) will help me get focused on planning better meals and eating right.

Today, I did an hour of Leah's cardio/strength challenge class followed by 45 minutes of Pilates. I've been a little under the weather, but I still survived both classes. It's only the third time I've done Pilates so I totally get my butt kicked in what I previously thought was a laid-back exercise class. At least by doing the cardio class first, I can tell myself that I'm just tired because of that.

I'm actually very excited about the whole program and simply wanted to share my commitment. Good luck and best wishes to anyone else participating in the "Live Healthy America 100 Day Challenge" program. Please be sure to post a comment if you're participating so I know who to cheer along!

2 comments:

  • Apryl Kuhn

    Good luck! Living healthy is what it's all about. I'm not there yet either, but I'm on the journey at least! :)

  • Anonymous

    Good luck on that. FYI, Cranberry juice can be your friend during the initial weeks as your body adjusts to the harder workout regimen. I don't know all of the details, but it carries a compound that expedites the break up of lactic acids in your muscles, which is the key element that produces muscle soreness. Definitely a lifesaver when I trained for the marathon in '98 and the half marathon in '04.

    If I think of anything else that is helpful I'll be sure to post. Charlotte and I are trying to do the same thing, so good luck to you.

Google