Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Upgrading My Thumb


I don't recall ever owning a green thumb. Whenever my mom would buy me a houseplant, she would make her selection based on how easy it was to take care of. I specifically recall the peace lily that she gave us when we moved into our first house. That thing had more lives than a cat.

So a lot of my procrastination with building a garden, was based on fear. Not only that I might kill stuff and give DH and everyone else more ammo to make fun of me but more seriously, I feared it would all be a waste of money.

That's precisely why I'm in shock right now. You'll never guess what I found when I walked out to check on my garden after our torrential downpour yesterday. Maybe I should rephrase that... you probably did guess since I posted a friggin' picture right at the top of the post.

That's right, I'm the proud owner of a bunch of sprouts (and one lone weed.)

Although the back row of each bed contained tomato plants that weren't from seed, each box also had a few rows of seeded vegetables. The single row on the left side of the bed in the first picture hopefully will grow to be spring onions. The second picture clearly shows enough carrots to make even Bugs Bunny happy. Yippee! I haven't killed them yet! Although it may not seem like much, for me it's a huge success.

I know there is still a long way to go, but I'll take it one step at a time. When it stops raining, I plan to thin the rows to give them some growing room then cross my fingers for them to continue their positive progress!

Think maybe I'll stop by the store and pick up a new watering can and maybe some new garden tools. All that's left is to figure out where I go to upgrade my thumb from my previous totally-brown color to my newly earned mossy green-brown.

13 comments:

  • Anonymous

    What's one step up from a black thumb? Do you go to brown and then ease into green?

    Anyway, congratulations.

  • Miss Lisa

    Exciting! My girls planted pumpkin seeds when daddy was carving a pumpkin last halloween and we are growing some serious vines right now :0

  • Paranoid

    Cool! Congratulations! The garden looks great.

  • Katie

    *laughs* Congratulations! We have tomatoes and flowers growing in pots. They're looking a bit iffy so I hope they perk up. The flowers haven't started coming up yet. We had a catnip plant but I think the local cats destroyed it. :(

  • pb&j in a bowl

    I want a garden so badly! But, I know everything will die a long painful death if I even think of trying. Good job on yours!

  • Sarah

    I am so proud of you! And I love seeing pictures of your little sprouts. :-)

  • Danielle

    Lookin good momma! I have a black thumb- I kill everything. My hubs is the resident garden guy.

  • Sabrina

    Looks great! I hope it all continues to grow for you!

  • Flutterby

    I am on my second planting of most of my veggie gardens... we had a late heavy frost that killed off most of the first. Now we're battling ants that keep cutting seedlings down the minute they pop up, and also a severe lack of rain, which means we're watering twice a day. I don't usually worry about the ants but they've never killed my garden off like this before! This year it's war. That's my family's FOOD out there!

  • Wendy

    Woo Hoo. Good for you.

    My tomatoes keep growing despite my "gardening" attempts, making me think I am a hidden gardening savant or a tomato whisperer or something. I have never had something live this long. :)

  • Anonymous

    I was so happy when the preK teacher sent home a picture of my son potting the little flower he gave me for Mother's Day - because I have to admit that it has died already. I am AWFUL with plants!

  • Anonymous

    Thats really nice and cute. I buy flowering plants for my children.. they plant it in backyard, though it become quite a mess.

  • Anonymous

    This kind of reminds me of myself. I was never allowed to have a pet. Instead of a dog I got a little plant.

Google