Saturday, May 24, 2008

If I Build It, You Will Come?


I'm terrible about procrastinating. It's one of those bad habits that I acknowledge but have never been able to overcome.

Ever since we moved back to Iowa, I've talked about wanting a garden but just haven't followed through. Last fall, DH and I talked about it in great depth - about all the things I would plant and how nice it would be to have fresh vegetables. Plus, what a great experience it would be for the girls.

So winter rolled around and we discussed the things I could plant and whether I wanted to start from seed or not. Anyone that knows me will agree that I'm GREAT at TALKING about things.

As spring approached, we talked (yes, I'm using the T word again) about when the best time to plant would be. We checked out plants and flowers at Lowes and WalMart to help me make up my mind.

For my April birthday, both DH and my MIL bought me gardening books... including a "Gardening for Dummies" since my green thumb is a beautiful shade of brown.

Then about three weeks ago, I told DH that I wanted to make a trip to Lowes to get the things to make the raised garden beds. When we arrived, he asked "Okay, where's your list?" I replied "I don't have one." Need I say that we left empty-handed?

Last week, he asked "When are you going to admit that you aren't going to get around to putting a garden in this year like you said?" I grumbled and said "Why can't we?" He said "Because you haven't even researched anything. You could get all the information you need in just a few hours. I don't want to be out there pulling weeds in YOUR garden." Realizing his point, I said "No, I planned to do all that." I honestly thought that he was doing all the building stuff and I would do the maintenance. He would have been happy to help if I asked or needed it, but he knew this was something that I wanted to really be able to call my own. Frustrated and completely serious he said "Oh, I get it. If I build it, you will come?"

So earlier this week, I sat at the computer and (rather than blog) researched what it would take to build a raised garden. I found out that redwood is the best wood, but douglas or cedar are less expensive alternatives. Untreated wood because there's concern about leaching of the treatment chemicals. Quality topsoil or potting soil along with compost. I took notes about lumber sizes and the size of screws (not nails) to buy. My list went on and on. When I thought I had a complete list, I proudly marched into his office and said "Okay, I've done my research. Is it too late to put in the garden?"

Come to find out, he had researched it all months ago. All this time - on all those trips - he knew exactly what we needed. He was just waiting for me to be invested in the project. I'm so glad he did that because now I'm proud and excited about the fact that we're about to plant veggies in my new garden. Time to go get back to work!

9 comments:

  • Anonymous

    Vegetable gardening is so rewarding! There's nothing like corn or broccoli or tomatoes right from the garden.

  • MommyTime

    Wow, you guys have a great relationship; knowing exactly what it will take to motivate each other can be really hard. I hope you have a wonderful time in your garden!

  • Rachel

    I love gardening and have a spot for it now. I wonder if it's too late to start a new one?
    HMMM.
    What a wonderful relationship y'all must have. :-)

  • Trish

    I totally know what you mean about procrastinating. I have quite a few things on my to do list that are gathering dust, either because I don't really want to do them or because they seem overwhelming to me.

    Love to see pictures of your garden as it comes in!

  • Sarah

    Wow, I am so impressed! You took it a step further than I probably ever will. I have been dreaming and speaking of making a box garden for the past 2 or 3 summers, but like you....procrastination has gotten me no where! :-)
    Let me know how it goes--most of my procrastinating stems from my fear of the unknown.
    We are planting tomatoes this year--it is a step in the right direction, right?! :-)

  • Michele

    I can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics from your new garden.

  • Nicole Brady

    Comment followups - Better late than never!
    FeeFiFoto - I'm hoping that it turns out to be rewarding! And I hope that we are all brave enough to eat whatever pops up!
    Mommytime - We do have an excellent relationship which is how we're able to stand being around each other so much. And yes, he knows exactly what buttons to push (or not) to get me motivated.
    Rachel - It's not too late to start, you just don't have as many options. It's too late for stuff like lettuce but we can plant it late season for 2nd crop. But we had trouble even finding stuff at the stores.
    Wheresthebox - I'll post some pictures of the garden when things start happening. I'm excited to share.
    Sarah - Agreed. I don't have a green thumb so I'm always afraid it will be a waste of money. But we went with the basics for my first go-around.
    Michele - I'll post stories and pictures, I just hope they aren't "OMG, My garden died!"

  • Sabrina

    I hope everything grows! We plant yearly and each year it gets a little bigger. I love being able to eat what we grow. It's rewardng!

  • Anonymous

    We need pictures when it is done. I wouldn't have a clue where to start. Sounds like you guys make a good team.

Google